Thursday, July 8, 2010

U.S. Cellular Field












The final leg of my travels would take me to the home of the Chicago White Sox, U.S. Cellular Field. I had been to this park before so I wanted to spend some extra time with the city itself. Chicago is one of the coolest cities I've ever been. I knew I'd be coming back later in the summer for a Cubs game so this time I wanted to visit the shore line before going to the game.

It was cold and windy in Chicago when I arrived and the walking all over Philadelphia had really taken it's toll on my lower legs. I caught the train from the airport, getting off short of the downtown area and pointed myself east toward Grant Park. From there I walked along the water with amazing views of the skyline all along the way. Up towards the Navy pier where I could spot a lighthouse but couldn't quite figure out how to get to it. It's probably a blessing because my legs were killing me at this point and the walk to the stadium was a long one.

On the way back I came across the most amazing fountain I'd ever seen. I'd been in this area before and wondered how I'd ever missed it. Continuing south I walked past Soldier Field where the Bears play and was surprised to learn it really is a memorial to the armed services. What a great place to play football. I stopped a tiny little Italian beef place to sample my first sandwich. Being a rookie I had no idea what to order but I'd over heard coworkers saying "dipped" is the only way to go. I asked for the only thing on the menu and said I wanted it the regular way (stupid). He asked if I wanted it dipped and I said yes thinking I'd nailed my order. Apparently regular means just meat. Dipped in the juice. The bread was good, the meat with nothing else was dry. Disappointing but I now know to get the peppers and cheese on it.

The park is nice. Another modern retro park with all the amenities you'd expect and a decent old school feel. I'd been here before so I left a little early to make sure I'd catch my flight. Very much looking forward to my own bed that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment